Friday, May 10, 2019


LEH

The windows alive
and the cold pouring out of the soft
light
remind me of the day I saw you climbing over the mountain,
bringing snow, 
and rain,
and thunder like a drum.
A heart’s drum; stretched tight and tuned by the coming and going
of the monsoon,
and you.
The dun peaks crowded with dust that
settles on my face, my hands,
clash themselves with the pale blue
distance,
and the farther, higher peaks,
covered with last years’ snow.
A dark misshapen wraith I mistook for an animal, some animal,
a yak,
or a Yeti,
proves to be you, grasping down the uncertain trail
that will lead you here,
to wherever I am.

All winter, I waited.

Hot in the belief that you would
return,
I kept to my faith
my not knowing,
my hope.

I couldn’t tell if I still wanted you.

But now, with throat stretched tight
my uplifted head,
the wind still cold in early Spring,
I know that if you send word,
I will go.
Past the gompas,
the white stupas that line the ringing air,
the ragged prayer flags pointing everywhere and nowhere,
I will climb carefully,
not daring to look down.
I will hear your broken footsteps,
tracing the path through the broken
boulders,
the chorten,
the ancient stones that will always worship the sky;
I will hear you coming
and I will meet you on Khardung La.

 
-->
-->

No comments:

Post a Comment